Two years after the choke-hold death of Eric Garner made “I can’t breathe” a rallying cry for protests over police killings of black men, federal authorities in New York and Washington were at odds on whether or not to pursue charges in the case; that is until Tuesday, when D.C. DOJ officials replaced the New York based team of investigators and lawyers.
AURN’s Kim Lampkins has more …
The outspoken daughter of Eric Garner has made a statement regarding the case:
In a statement released on Twitter Tuesday evening, Erica Garner said the recent action by the DOJ “is a step in the right direction,” and that the DOJ had been “dragging its feet but is now finally serious about pursuing justice.”
Garner also said: “There have been countless cases where the Justice Department has too quickly come to a decision to not file federal civil rights charges, like for instance the cases involving Mike Brown in Ferguson and Freddie Gray in Baltimore. I hope they take their time and get it right in this case.”
— officialERICA GARNER (@es_snipes) October 26, 2016
— Justice Roundtable (@justiceroundtab) October 26, 2016