The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture opened in Harlem, New York, on July 14, 1905. The center is one of the leading institutions focused on the experiences of people across the African diaspora.
Before the center was named after Arturo Alfonso Schomburg, a leading Afro-Puerto Rican activist and writer in the Harlem Renaissance, it was called the Division of Negro Literature, History and Prints.
According to the Schomburg website, in 1926, Schomburg donated his collection of more than 5,000 books, 3,000 manuscripts and more. He served as curator from 1932 until his death in 1938.
Since its opening more than 100 years ago, the Schomburg has expanded to create space for galleries and the Langston Hughes Auditorium, where events, lectures and concerts are held.